Illahe Lodge was built as the retirement home for E.J. and Florence Schneider in the late 1930s and early 1940s. During construction, the Schneiders’ friends started expressing an interest in coming for extended stays of a month or more in the fall when the half pounders were running. The Schneiders realized that the only way this would work was if they started charging people to stay with them. Originally named “Schneider’s Lodge,” the business name was changed to “Illahe Lodge” when the Schneider’s daughter, son-in-law, and grandson purchased the business from the Schneiders in 1959.
After operating Illahe Lodge by himself for several years, the Schneider’s grandson – Ernie Rutledge – was thinking about selling the lodge. At that point, his daughter, Coleen Rutledge Davis, returned to Oregon and helped her father operate Illahe Lodge for a few years before purchasing it from him in 2013. Ernie is still very involved in operating Illahe Lodge and enjoys sharing the history and stories with our guests.